Monday, February 27, 2006

Gym Progress 28 (And How To Handle Unfamiliar Situations)

Zoiks!

This week I had to put up with 2 instructors that I'm not really normally familiar with.

Normally I'm the type of person that doesn't like change. If I find something I like, I stick with it and don't look out for any further options anymore unless once in a blue moon I get an inkling to try out new things.. but that happens very infrequently.

But this time, I'm glad to say that I did.

I'm not sure what really prompted me to enjoy the classes. I guess its the challenge of learning someone else's style. I didn't have any problems with Angus, because I've been to his classes several times in the past, but that didn't stop me from enjoying last Thursday.

Additionally, I was initially irritated at Bibi. I guess that was a bias on my part. I hated the way her voice sounded (it is a bit shrieky and high pitched) and how she handled her classes (she wouldn't say what the next step was.. she would just "show" it to us), but after some time, I figured out it was my bias that was getting in the way of me having a good time. No one expects that we will always get conditions to our liking, and I don't think it was appropriate for me to not try my best just because I disliked her superficially.

She usually starts her class with some funny warm up steps.. mostly ones that I really hated because didn't immediately involve flying around the steps (unlike Suzette or Steve), but I figured out that she was just looking out for the safety of the people in the class. After a while, her choreography would get a bit more exciting and complicated. Honestly, during the first class last Saturday, I was a bit put off because I couldn't follow properly. But seeing as everyone was following with no problems, I put on more effort. It was exciting to learn new steps with a new instructor... I figured, its a good way to look at life.. accept changes that come, and not to be inflexible. I think I learned a bit more, not just about gym instructors, but how to handle and treat unfamiliar situations in life.

And that's why I ended up going to her second class last Saturday. Just to prove to myself that I could do better, even if I'm not that comfortable with her yet. And I'm happy to say I enjoyed, and did fairly well :)

Week 28
Thu(SM):Angus
Sat(ASM, ISM): Bibi, Bibi
Sun(ISM): Suzette

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home