Sunday, March 11, 2007

Post Marathon Thoughts (1)

Should I start training for a half marathon, or a faster 10k?

After my 73 minute run for the 10k, and seeing that I was slacking off during the last 3 km, I would like to target for a 55/50minute 10k run.

But I want to also run for a half marathon. Maybe timing myself at 2:15 or 2:00, howsthat?

I've started to run at the gym recently, just to ride on the exercise that I got during last Sunday (my whole leg hurt). At the moment I have 1 year to train up... that should be a lot of time.

Half marathon, or 10km again?

I need to read up on popular literature about this. Maybe I'll have some sort of definitive goal after a week.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sean said...

A year is a lot of time. When's the next marathon, anyway? March again next year?

12:05 PM  
Blogger cstiu said...

I actually found out that I am really bad at sustaining jogging for long periods. In fact, before the 10km marathon, I could only run for 6 minutes continuously before lapsing into a state of non uniformed/erratic slow jogging and walking.

Its quite a good training really... right now I can run 20 minutes non-stop, which is a vast improvement from 3 weeks ago.

Based on running magazines I've read, it takes an estimated 6 months to prepare for a full marathon for a "sorta" beginner. Next marathon should be in one year's time, and I'm thinking of building up my stability (not just the jogging part) with yoga and weights exercises to protect me from any injuries. Its good practice, anyway.

The long run jogging part will just be later. Just want to make sure I am in some shape to keep a sustained jogging for at least 20 minutes to an hour.

Oh hold on. Did I tell you I decided to join the full marathon next year, instead? :P

8:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home