Sunday, March 18, 2007

Interesting Speedwork Training

I just read this article from Runners World magazine about training for speed. In fact, I'm been immersing myself in running magazines a week before the marathon, and they're all quite interesting.

Back to the speed training. It suggested to increase your pacing at certain intervals (e.g. 10-20 seconds) in between the regular "easy" jog at least 5 times during the training run. So, for example, the scenario:
  • you run at an easy pace, then
  • switch to the enhanced pacing - the definition was imagine that you are running over hot coals - for 15 seconds.
  • revert back to 20-30 seconds of easy jogging
  • repeat the hot coals run again for 15 seconds.
  • Do this at least 5 times
  • if you can do it, increase the hot coals section to 20 seconds,
  • then revert back to 20-30 seconds of easy jogging
  • repeat 5 more times

In fact, yesterday was the first time that I've tried this tactic, and I'm pleased to say it works quite well with a treadmill. The increased pacing was slightly holding me back - I can't very well run into and over the front of the treadmill - so when I increased the distance/time, I was coping much better. The enhanced pacing now apply to the increased speed, and without holding back. This makes the jogging feel a whole lot easier. Normally my maximum speed setting is 9.0, but yesterday I was able to set it up to 9.4. Well, I was already putting up an effort at 9.4, but it was still sustainable for a minute or so. But at the 9.3 setting, it was an ok pace for me.

Cool. I should read more running magazines from now on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home