Thursday, January 26, 2006

Musta Na? Version 2.0

What prompted me to write out my previous post? For the most part, its actually for a sentimental reason. I read this post by one of the three runner ups for this year's Philippine Blog Awards, Kulotski Online, and it struck a cord and sounded so familiar. So let me tell you about my story...

I had a friend. One that I've known since I was very young, going back to the time when I probably didn't know what 23+32 equaled to. We spent our years growing up together... talking over the phone until sunrise, bantering about our crushes, sharing secrets, complaining about teachers, loving to talk about the things we hate. In many ways, its as if we're almost like sisters. We grew up together, sharing and confiding, trusting and helping each other, for more than 10 years.

Then all of a sudden, we parted ways. After that, we lost touch for four, five, six years... she had her own world, and I had mine. I went through depression, undergone load revisions, went through several boyfriends, huge arguments with my mother, relocated, got a job, cried my eyes out. She had her own set of events to think of... but one that I didn't know anything about. As it turns out, we stopped talking for a long while... she had her own life and I respected that, as I'm sure she respected mine. But the fact remains, at a certain point in our lives, we parted ways.

Its not that we didn't want to save our friendship, but our daily lives didn't intertwine anymore.

We tried the best we could, occasionally meeting up every few months. Then the few months became every 4 months, then 6 months, and it got further and further apart... and then finally, it became years, and then, ... it was just silence.

On those rare occasions when we do meet up.. sometimes it was just awkward. We tried to make up by asking each other what's happened since we last met, but there were too many missed things to talk about, too many experiences missed, too many pivotal life points left out, and all those missed points made connecting the dots extremely difficult. Sometimes the spark isn't just there anymore... and sometimes, contrary to how I want things to be... I'd think, ... it could just be dead.

And it would be a great shame.

We would see each other online, and drop the other a quick hello, but it seemed as if nothing could ever save the friendship. I knew both of us were holding our friendship by the thread.. we talked still because we had a history together, but there was no spark now as it was before. She even tried her best, but I was always busy with work... I had no time... there's always something urgent, always something that needed to be done, always something that was so important, ... but she couldn't relate to me anymore. I couldn't relate to her anymore. It felt as if it was a lost cause...


... but then, my story didn't end the way the post did.

Because I put up this blog.

Then she put up hers.


And it has been since, as if it was back then...


Its not perfect.. our friendship still has chips here and there, but I think we're growing back to the way we once were. I know she's reading this. I think she'll agree, even if we've never really talked about it. I'm not sure, she might not think the blogging helped, but I personally think it did. That's why I feel an affinity to blog writing; It's the friendships that it has helped to grow and regrow along the way. I may not have time for certain things when I started blogging; it may be for eccentric or self absorbed reasons, it may still be the reasons now, but I don't deny what it has done for me, as it may also be the case for you.

In any case, I think I'd like keep on blogging, as long as I can. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home