Friday, November 04, 2005

Temporarily Disabled

I seem to have hurt my knee.

(You saw that coming, didn't you?)

Fine! *pout*

My knee was already killing me last week so I headed off to the doctor. I was a wee bit worried of being laughed at (the last time I went to the doctor, I was worried about heart palpitations but after being looked at, seemed as if there were no abnormalities) due to paranoia, so I waited it out for a week. The last time I went to the gym for aerobics was yesterday, but it got to the point where I couldn't follow the blocks properly because of the slight pain and soreness on my knees, so I was almost pretty sure I had to get it looked at by a doctor.

I made an appointment, and upon meeting the doctor, explained the following problems:

1. Tingly and sore feeling at the back of my knee for the past week, even when resting.
2. Couldn't comfortably sleep because of the soreness/tenderness (it kept me half awake at nights.. I was sleeping, but I still knew my knees were sore). I kept wanting to bend my knees all the way up (like when your stretching your quads) even when lying to sleep, just so I can get into a comfortable position.
3. Couldn't straighten my legs when walking during daytime - I had to walk around with "bent" knees.
4. My knees looked a bit swollen with a slight, almost unnoticeable bruise at the back. (Not sure if it was my imagination)

I explained I've been going to the gym and getting lightweights and doing aerobics for the past 4 months.

The doctor asked me to prop up to the bed and on my back. He took a look at my knees and did a little pressing over at the front and back of my knee lightly.
The doctor asked me to lie stomach down. He bent my knees one at a time, and kept pressing the back of my knee. Ouch. It hurts there, don't press TOO hard!
The doctor asked me to stand up and took a look at them.

And then finally, told me I had hyperextended my knees. (I was thinking maybe the hamstring... I was searching over the net and couldn't find any problems with "back of knee soreness", but I did find out some problems with the hamstring)

The remedy?

1. Get an open patella knee support when planning to walk around for long periods during the weekend.
2. Eat a prescription medicine (Naprosyn 250mg) twice daily after meals to abate the pain. Stop when pain subsides.
3. Rest your legs (and no going to the gym for 1 week! -- me: oh no!)
4. Come back after one week and lets take a look at it again.

So after I came home, with a proper diagnosis on hand, I searched the net for hyperextended knees and did my own version of a home remedy, particularly, R.I.C.E = Rest Ice Compression Elevation. Also, after reading about hyperextended knees, it seems that more serious ones will tear the ACL and possibly require surgery.. I hope I haven't gone THAT far. After that, (scarying the daylights out of me and the thought of the possibility of no more gymming for the rest of my life - and right after its been going so well too, grr ) I've been religiously getting some rest, applying some ice packs occasionally, having my foot elevated most of the time, and wearing the knee support everytime I head out of the house.

I hope next week's doctor's appointment will turn out better.

1 Comments:

Blogger em said...

I remember a time when I had something on my eye. Like you, I researched like hell (to look for a remedy) and ended up scaring myself. Eventually, I convinced myself to see a doctor. I didn't want to, at first, because I was afraid that he might perform a surgery. Fortunately, he didn't and everything went well.

Get plenty of rest and I hope that you'll feel better soon. [hugs]

6:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home