Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Philippine Holiday Juggling Season

Quick! what's the first thing that comes to mind when you think of Philippine President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo's Presidency?

?

First thing that comes to my mind are the mind blogging holiday switch dates she does that make each holiday a long weekend. Nothing tops THAT. Obviously, this year's All Saints Day is no exception. So far I've heard, she's suddenly declared October 31, 2005 a holiday (Halloween Holiday?), the usual Nov 1 All Saint's Day, and further on in the week, a holiday for the last day of Ramadan (Nov 4, if I'm not mistaken).

I'm sure she's very popular with the youth (imagine, no school!) and some of the working class (more holidays=more vacations), but some others I've heard are not so happy with this setup. Seems like she declares these "ad-hoc" holidays just a week before... for some companies, it wrecks their timeline schedules and deadlines. I've also heard in the past that the more holidays a country has, the worse it is for its economy (no trading, everybody's basically a sloth, no revenues generated) I'm not quite sure about that since I'm not an economics expert, but it does sound logical. (At least for now)

She's the first ever country leader in the world that I've heard juggles holidays. Now that's got to be a first... somewhere.

The question is, first WHAT? Fill in the blanks, people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home