Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Installing Linux (Slackware this time)

I got Linux running.. sort of.

Well, I did get the console running ok. There's some problems with X windows though. I'm not quite sure, but its possible that there are hardware driver and configuration problems related to it.

Action 1: I get to the GDM or KDE login screen at first, but the whole screen hangs. Can't even move the mouse or type anything.
Action 2: Afterwards I tried running it with startx, and out pops the KDE configuration screen, but at least the mouse is working and it doesn't hang anymore. Right where I finished the KDE configuration, a lot of pop ups come out complaining about artsd receiving an abort signal so I terminated it eventually via console.
Action 3: I attempted to restart gdm this time, and it seems to have entered Gnome, albeit still receiving error messages regarding sound, but otherwise, everything seemed ok.

Once I had a half baked Desktop Environment coming along, I tried setting up the DSL connection and connnected to the net. Test installed a couple of programs (Skype etc) and played around with a trillian-like net messenger client called Gaim (pretty good too)

Wow its wonderful... I loved it!

Now I just need to fix the sound errors and adjust the monitor settings so I can have a smaller resolution :) But its wonderful...!!!!! Now all I need to worry about are linux app compatibility to Slackware.. or maybe I should switch to Debian. There seems to be more apps designed for Debian (there's more Fedora Core, but as I've mentioned previously, the installation procedure crashes on my old PC). Think think...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home