Tuesday, October 12, 2004

New Adhesive Discovered

I was working during the afternoon when I found myself thinking of those chicken wings I wanted to cook last weekend.

The first and last time I cooked caramelized chicken wings was probably 2 weeks ago. I got the recipe off my sis-in-law's cookbook. I don't think she's been using it for quite some time now, so i browsed through it. I prepared it, and it looked like my sis-in-law extremely liked it. She practically lapped the wings off the plate. That's first time in a long time.

Its not that I can't cook a decent meal. But she's pregnant, and since then, she started getting all sorts of cravings.. while on the other end, she also started becoming picky about what she eats.

I was planning to cook the same thing last weekend, but by grandmother insisted she cook for us, so the poor chicken wings were left in the fridge, untouched. I also had a head of pechay left over last weekend. Its been hanging around there, and its starting to wilt. Since it seems such a waste to just throw them away, I figured, I'll cook them tonight.

I managed to cook it through, and was just about to add it the "caramel" ingredient when I suddenly thought adding apple cider vinegar would make it taste better. It'll give the wings just the right barbequey-tangy taste. I managed to cook the vegetables while waiting for the wings and at the same time, cook up the rice, and heat up some left overs from last night.

Guess how it turned out?

Note to myself. Never try to multitask in the kitchen when you're not completely familiar with the recipe.

So much for lapping it up. I ended up with over cooked caramelized chicken wings. It was still edible, to say the least. A bit on the bitter side.. you'd probably be safe eating the meat instead of the chicken skin.

It doesn't sound so bad, until you start scrubbing the dishes. The caramel definitely caramelized. It wasnt so bad when the wings were still hot off the pan, but after cooling off, it was as hard as rock. I had to use metal scrubs to get the caramel off the pan. Vigorously. And I need to devote a minute or 2 on each spot with overcooked caramel to get it completely off. I think I probably discovered an adhesive that's stronger than rubber cement. I wonder if 3M will buy the recipe from me.

Too bad.

Well, at least neither one of us had any stomach problems the day after. :P

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home