Monday, October 04, 2004

Over the autumn holidays

Its been a while since I've logged an entry. Blame it on the holidays!

Hong kong has just experienced "one of those lazy weeks". Its basically a week packed of holidays that people deem it appropriate to expend some of their annual leaves to avail of a long getaway weekend.

One of them was the annual Autumn Mid Festival Celebration, last Sep 28, where its customary to give people mooncakes. It used to be just the traditional double egg yolks in lotus seed paste, packed with a ton of sugars, starch, and of course, calories. Now they have snowy mooncakes, mung bean mooncakes, black sesame based, and errr... in celebration of the booming coffee business, a coffee flavored mooncake, from where else, but Starbucks.

I managed to gorge on a whole set of mooncakes into my stomach since then. (For those who are unaware, most mooncakes are contained in a square 8in by 8inch tin can containing 4 individually plastic packed moonckare. That's four regular sized mooncakes for you.) That makes 8 egg yolks in... three days. urrk. I wonder how my cholesterol levels are doing.

I was reading somewhere that every year, Hong kong generates tonnes of packaging on these mooncakes enough to fill up most of the landfills available here. Well, I suppose its a good thing China is just a door away. Good riddance!

Which reminds me. China. That's the second holiday for last week. I have a vague sense of these things, but I think the holiday that was celebrated last Oct 1 was the Hong Kong Handover day. or was it Chinese National Day? I just simply know it involves fireworks over at the Hong Kong Harbour, fireworks over Beijing and I dont know where else. I just know it concerns the Chinese government. Hmmm. I suppose Taiwan isnt included there then.

Consider me ignorant? Probably. I couldnt care less to mingle with hundreds of people. Im supposed to be a bit claustrophobic. And I hate too many people. Now give me a uninhabited cave somewhere in paradise, with an ample supply of book, pencil and drawing paper, and I'll be content for years and years to come.

So in celebration of autumn midfestival and hongkong handover holidays, I spent the whole weekend locked in my room, watching DVDs while gorging on mooncakes.

Thank god for the holidays!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home