Saturday, January 14, 2006

A Better Sales Tactic

Ok, this is one of the best ever sales tactic that I've ever encountered at California Fitness (that's my gym, for those of you who don't know).

I've already probably mentioned the notoriety of the sales people and physical fitness instructors in California Fitness, at least in Hong Kong. I don't doubt their credibility and experience, but I simply don't like their sales approach. They try as much to crowd you into a corner (in some cases, yes, like 3 or 4 of them trying to convince you to sign up for their personal trainers) and get you to sign something. At that point, you don't really know what you need, and they tell you, "you need this" and then try to convince you... and convince you.. and convince you.

In fact, they probably won't let you go, unless you're as stubborn as they are, or you just flat out be extremely rude towards them. THEN, they MIGHT get the point.

Anyway, as I was saying, today I just experienced one of the best sales tactic I've ever encountered at California Fitness.

I was minding my own business, pre-aeroclass workout, doing my upper body, since I couldn't do my lower body (you know.. THAT knee problem.) at one of the machines. Just minding my own business. I don't really have that much of an experience with machines, especially since there's so much to choose from at each gym branch, but generally I think they're safe to work with since they already provide support for your posture. At least in a general sense.

Of course, there are a couple of advanced looking machines that might have you to end up with wrong positions - and eventually hurting yourself in the process. I was working on one of them when one of the personal trainers actually stopped in his tracks, and looked at me, then tried HELPING me to a better position.

Ok, I know sometimes altruisim is no big deal in this world, but for a gym who's had such an irritating and aggressive sales team, and a somewhat snobby set of personal trainers (I've been through 3 of them, and they've simply ignored me right after I've turned them down in joining their "special limited" offers) this is actually a change. I know my brother said I could always approach whoever and then ask them how machines work, since I'm already paying for the service with my membership anyway, but its still different to ask myself, and actually be offered the help.

And surprisingly, the nice personal trainer gave me several other pointers when using three other machines relating to shoulders and triceps, which was very much appreciated. I was almost expecting him to offer his services as a personal trainer, and also force me to get into the whole personal trainer "package", but he didn't. REALLY. It was amazing.

It was really amazing.

I still can't believe it, even up til now.

Amazing.

So now, I figured, when I actually get the chance (or the money) to afford a personal trainer, or be just be plain nice one of these days, and feel like giving a gift to some of those gym people, I'll make sure I search him out and include him in my list. His name's something like Dick Chan, and works at the Causeway Bay branch. I don't know how good he is as a personal trainer, or how much experience, but I think I'd rather deal with him, than any of the others I've encountered in the past. If there was such a thing as "pogi points" for sales, then this guy just scored a WHOLE lot in my book.

Now, why couldn't those other California Fitness Personal Trainers just employ the same tactic that this guy did? I'm sure they're likely going to get more sales and applications for Personal Trainers that way, than actually cornering a potential applicant, which would probably do one, or all of the following:

(a) irritate the potential applicant
(b) scare the potential applicant
(c) will make the potential applicant avoid the PT area like a plague (I know I do)
(d) give a really really really bad impression to other California Fitness sales and PT teams who may be doing a good job (maybe)

I'm still pretty amazed up until now. California Fitness should employ THAT kind of tactic, rather than just pushing potential applicants around.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home