Friday, December 30, 2005

Skimping on Packaged Tech Item Manuals

Since I was recently frustrated with my new sony ericsson w800i's user guide manual that came in with the phone - it only gives high level instruction on the phone usage - I was looking through the web to find a more detailed specification to address my curiosity, particularly using the setup with the memory stick duo card. Here's what I found out after browsing through the web

Detailed Phone Specs http://developer.sonyericsson.com/site/global/docstools/phonespecs/p_phonespecs.jsp

Personalization Docs http://developer.sonyericsson.com/site/global/docstools/multimedia/p_multimedia.jsp

Nice w800/K750 Themes Site
http://gallery.mobile9.com/

Nice stuff.. but I was just wondering, whatever happened to packaging where a 0.5 inch thick book full phone specs can be browsed through? I was a bit surprised the accompanying manuals didn't even elaborate on what type of maximum resolution the phone camera can handle, or what version of bluetooth technology was installed in the phone, or just a simple "how many radio stations/SMS can it store in the phone memory" specification?

The same was also the case when I bought my air conditioner and LCD screen (whoops, it seems like I didn't log the specs for THAT) a few months ago... are these companies try to skimp on printing out several versions of its manuals or something?

This is precisely the reason why I post inane, over the top, extremely detailed specifications in this blog.. its a way for me to remember what kind of specs I have for the stuff I buy, since they so very nicely don't even include it in the packaging. Trying to be environmentally friendly and saving up on trees being cut down, or just plain trying to skimp on resources for corporate savings? At least if they were trying to be environmentally friendly, they could've indicated it in their manuals and placed a referencing URL to point to a more complete documentation.

My air conditioner manual didn't even specify a complete model number in the manual... I mean, can you imagine 4 years down the road, the air conditioner breaks down (I think 4 years is a reasonable time for the no-problem, working lifespan of an air conditioner, right?) I dig up my manuals, search and web, and become completely flabergasted by the number of similarly modelled airconditioners but with different sub category types and end up playing guess-that-sub-model, fix the air conditioner and find out that I picked out the wrong model and eventually have to get a new one? What's with that?

Its almost similar to having to support a company system that says "runs on Windows XP" but doesnt say if its "SP1 or SP2", or a Unix system with the corresponding OS, but doesn't specify the current patch level or kernel version. Its most likely to break down.

Yes, I apologize from the rant and rave, but its extremely irritating, and I don't want to have to bother with these things a few years down the road. I thought we were in an Information Age and information is just at your fingertips? Non organized, non specific labelling doesn't help very much to weed through a thousand Google hits for the average person, does it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home