Friday, December 23, 2005

Rent Broadway Play (with Karen Mok)

Ok, I saw this play last Dec 22, 2005. I love the play, I have the CDs, I know the songs by heart. I listen to it straight every once in a while, and contrary to most people I love the songs "Christmas Bells", "La Vie Boheme" and "Life Support" more as compared to "Seasons Of Love" which I think is more popular with the mainstream.

Just to give those unfamiliar to the play a quick rundown, the story written by Jonathan Larson, and is based on the life of a group of friends living in NYC. A number of them are HIV positive, and they're coping with their health as well as their life because of the lack of money, job, creativity, etc. The play basically deals with the idea that we should take life as we have them right now, and enjoy it while we can, and make the most of it, because everything might be gone in a blink of an eye. That's why the title is "Rent", and very appropriately so, as it not only talks of a person's rent to a flat, but also to life and love :

(Taken from the lyrics of I'll Cover You)*
I think they meant it,
when they say you can't buy love,
but I know you can rent it,
A new lease you are my love...
on life - be my life

(Taken from the lyrics of the Title Song, Rent)*
How do you leave the past behind
When it keeps finding ways to get to your heart
It reaches way down deep and tears you inside out
Till you're torn apart
Rent!

How can you connect in an age
Where strangers, landlords, lovers
Your own blood cells betray

What binds the fabric together
When the raging, shifting winds of change
Keep ripping away

...

Last year's rent
This year's rent
Next year's rent
Rent rent rent rent rent
We're not gonna pay rent
Cause everything is rent

I've heard the CDs for so long, I've eagerly awaited to see the actual production (I promptly missed a local Rent production in the Philippines, and no, I do not want to see Rent, the movie. I want to see Rent the broadway play!) and this was the chance that I've eagerly awaited for. Of course, there's also this teeny bit where Karen Mok plays Mimi, the one of the lead characters, and I don't really like her all that much. But maybe she might be good, I don't really know for sure.

The verdict? Well, its pretty good overall, and I really enjoyed the play... although there was a bit of pomp lacking to it, for some strange reason. Maybe the cast members have been playing the same thing for so long, or maybe because the play started for 2 weeks already, but it seemed to lack the vibrance that I was expecting after hearing my Rent cds for so long. They were all well and good though, but Karen Mok was a bit of a sore thumb from my perspective. I dont know about other reviewers, but I thought Karen Mok was lacking the life that I've always associated with Mimi, the character. I mean, don't get me wrong, she was pretty good with her singing, but you seem to get the idea that she belonged more in a studio rather than a live act play. A lot of the stuff she did was slightly going off to feeling a bit scripted and lacking in that certain "gusto" that you expect from Broadway plays.. its as if she didn't belt enough, or throw herself to the role enough. In some ways, you were still seeing Karen Mok in front of you, instead of living the Mimi role.

But this may be her first time to act in a play, and I'm going to give her a benefit of a doubt. But if you're really not expecting anything at all, I believe the play itself with Karen Mok is good enough. I've probably just been too spoiled with Broadway standard Les Miserables and Miss Saigon.

The rest of the cast was superb... I didn't expect Roger to be the way he was, but I absolutely loved the cast who played Mark, Benny, Collins and particularly Angel. They were what I expected them to be, and a whole lot more. Nice acting, and great singing, and lots of pomp. Totally amazing stuff.

All in all, I loved the play, minus Karen Mok. Regardless, its still one of my favorite plays, and I'll probably continue on listening to the CDs for now, until a next Rent production comes to Hong Kong again.

*all rights and ownership are those of the Rent production and team. Not mine, not mine. Please don't sue me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home