Friday, November 11, 2005

Technical Blog: Not As Easy As It Looks Part II (First Entry)

Continued from the previous entry...

As I've mentioned previously, for the technical blog, I've decided to retain my own personal flavor, but also at the same time, still being myself and addressing to neophyte database administrators. I'm not going to pretend to know a lot about database; I can only go so far as to state what I know from experience, and that's it. The blog will be a stepping stone to people who will want to know how to approach the huge complexity that is Oracle, its features and its strengths and weaknesses, through my own journey with Oracle - so I fancied it will end up with a little bit of this, a little bit of that, and probably not as organized as some would like to think. No additional research for now on topics that I may mention in my blog, because if I did I'd probably end up with no entries until 5 years later.

I decided it should be a blog that would contain important and significant points to take note of for the beginners, and take off from there. So in a sense, it's going to be a recount of my journey, and hope that it will come off as both entertaining and informative about challenges of being an Oracle Database Administrator. Many times I will admit what I don't know, but I don't think this is a bad thing - At least I know what I don't know, as compared to not knowing what I don't know. (it is kind of confusing, isn't it? Something like "I think therefore I am" -- huh? what the--? :P) We all have to start somewhere, innit?

A few days ago I attempted to write my first technical blog entry. I found it extremely difficult, passing through a lot of editing. You see, after blogging on this current blog for so long, I noticed that my writing style was on a come-as-you-please basis, including my thoughts and reactions sprinkled all throughout the first entry. Since it was a technical blog entry, all the side comments didn't seem appriopriate at some point for this type of entry, so I was forced to edit it to a less annoying level. (I would imagine to be very annoyed at myself if I read the first few entries a few years later down the road). Trust me, there were a lot of edits, and I probably slashed 40% of the original "hot" draft. I had to get an equal balance between what I wanted to say, my thoughts and the technical content.

It was not an easy job to do.

I think I've gotten an idea how to go about the technical entries, but it'll take some getting used to. And probably some additional polishing. Definitely different from the usual quips I deliver over here in this blog. Its a nice change though... 'tackling a different area of expertise. ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home