Friday, April 15, 2005

Limits of an OC and his Statistic Project

For weeks now I've been staring at the same numbers. To my dismay its been growing slowly ever since. I don't know when will it even stop, or when will be the next time that I "start over again". Every day it grows a little. I carry on doing more important things (for a most important person like me) and leave it alone for a while. When I come back to it, I decide that its not acceptable because its not up-to-date anymore, and besides, the more sample data, the better it is, the accurate it is, right? Its like limits and derivatives. Conjure up a formula, put an unknown variable and make the pompus sounding statement that "... if unknown variable in the formula approaches infiinity, the result will be so and so..." (Personally, I think one of the reasons calculus was conjured, particularly limits and derivatives, is to make people who use and study them feel smarter for using such words as "if and only if", "the function of x", "as n approaches infinity/0". I mean f(x)=x+1 where x->2 is just a fancy way of saying y=2+1=3, isnt it?)

Ah well, it is not up to me to understand the mysteries of calculus, the founding people who started it or the congregations of avid bunch of mathematicians, physicists, engineers... (and other collegiate majors that involve studying and loving calculus).

Back to my number crunching. Thus I live in a state of limbo. In one day, I partially finish 40% of the work, then something more important comes up, so leave it for a while, and then when I come back and look at the figures, I get this urge to increase the sample set ("because its more accurate that way") and recalculate everything all over again. Its tiring work, thanks to my obsessive compulsive nature. I been in this situation more than 5 times already. I've lost count.

FYI, I'm working on projecting server statistics. This includes lots of monitors and key figures that tell if the server is in a healthy shape and if it is still in a nice enough condition to handle a few more beating from the very well done application that we have. That includes lots of nice figures like IO, Real Memory, Swap memory, CPU, and on the db side, latches, waits , enqueues, parses, full scans, io rate blah blah blah... so many numbers... I can see them everywhere.. just everywhere.... weeeEEEeeee!

The numbers are driving me nuts. It just keeps on growing, and growing, and growing... even Excel can't handle it anymore. The whole PC just slloooooOOOooooOOOoooows down. Two months out, and I'm still working on this.

I should be determined. I should finish this whole thing by Monday. *determined nod*

(I hope this will be the last Monday deadline I've set myself to finish this damn thing.)

Statistics + OC = Death of me...

No wonder I never liked statistics when I was studying. I got a D.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home