Sunday, April 03, 2005

Fixing my PC

As expected, I couldn't figure out why the CPU was hitting over the top just by playing an avi file. It must have something to do with the bad sectors that was reported when I scanned the disk with chkdsk. Some dlls "restored" and something like that. I tried the windows utility sfc /scannow option to update the lost dlls correctly, but yielded no improvements. The utility seems useful tho. For those who are interested, you can see a short description at this page.

To my irritance, I just didn't work. So I tried to build the OS from ground up. Problem is, after booting up from CD and as the installation starts loading the drivers into memory (or disk, im not sure which) and When the line "Windows starting up" show up, it hangs. Then I get a stop error blue screen. Great. I tried this like ... gazillions of times, but luck wasnt with me. I was reduced to a end user praying that everything would load up properly and I'd get past that stage... maybe It would work after that.

No such luck. The farthest I've gone is repartitioning the HD and formatting it. To my dismay, it will also hang somewhere in there.

Since I've already *partially* formatted by system drive, I wouldnt be able to revert back to being able to use my computer. At least before the formatting part, I would still be able to startup my old windows and surf, albeit it'd be very slow. Now I was committed already. I needed to install this properly before I'll be able to use my home computer again.

_JUST_MY_LUCK_.

I'll be trying to update the bios, get a new hd (the old drive will probably clunk out soon, I just rememebered the bad sectors have been around since like 2 years ago when i last reformatted by system disk).

We'll see what happens.

I think I can hear cash registers ringing and $$ disappearing in the next few days.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sean said...

...Or screams of frustration. I do that, too.

6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home