Friday, August 22, 2008

A Prologue for the Lonely

Buber, Blake, Heidegger, Kant, St Augustine.

I can see now where most of my perceptions come from. Its amazing how some philosophies crawl directly into who you are and how you define yourself.

And exactly how they came to be? It came to BE, from a institution that I would fondly call my alma mater.

Its not enough that one has to excel in their field of specialization, but to become one that mattered was equally as important. And thus, 4 years - and along the path of compulsory 16 units of Philosophy , and 16 units of Theology courses - we learn that we are agents of change - socially responsible for our fellowmen, responsible for the lives of others, forwarding an ideal purpose towards the greater glory of God.

I'm quite glad and honored to be part of a long legacy that started with St. Ignatius. When I was accepted into this university, for the first time in my long relationship with my brother, he gave me a gift to celebrate the occasion - This coming from a man who has never given me anything, fought with me throughout my childhood, and persistently tried to kick me out of the room when he was playing or doing anything at all. It really IS a great honor to be part of being an Atenean.

In any case, life after university is drastically different. Maybe not all lessons are learned then, but it imparted me with the arsenal to deal with what cannot be learned directly within the confines of school.

I will find out later in life, that exactly what made me grateful, and exceptional, in the background, will spawn one of the most pivotal and challenging experience in my life. One that will make me drastically different in the world, outside the shelters of the Jesuit experience.

And I could find out... Loneliness could just be an imagination.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home