Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Campbell's Soup Lunch

Deciding to save money for lunch, a month ago I headed off to the supermarket downstairs to get a couple of cans of Campbell's. I've never liked Campbells actually, but seeing that the places they have around the office area serve soups for HK$15 that taste bland and ordinary and suspiciously like Campbells, and offer nothing else, I decided to be smart about it. No way am I going to get ripped off by these restaurants.

So I got a can of Chicken and Mushroom, Borsch, Minestrone, Pumpkin and Chicken and Cream. These don't really need a pot to cook; They're essentially cooked and merely concentrated. Just add water, and plop it into the microwave. (Aahhhh.. the conveniences of technology.)

I've already managed to finish three of them for the past couple of weeks. In fact, I'm having the Borsch at this very minute. The whole setup is agrees with me. I like soup. Since I can't get a decent soup around here, I might as well get the cheaper, out-of-the-can ones. They taste they same anyway. A can probably costs HK$6, but I cant really finish the whole can in one sitting, so I end up having 2 soup lunches for a can. Compared to a measely HK$15 for a small cup, I thought this was a very good deal. And besides, I hate waiting for seats and going around with crowds and crowds of people.

There's actually a point to this, if you just read on for a few more lines.

I just needed to say that the Borsch Campbell soup tastes ABSOLUTELY AWFUL.

And the Cream of Chicken and Mushroom does not readily agree with the whole pop-into-the-cup-add-hot-water-and-into-the-microwave setup. It gets watery, and the rest of the soup gets concentrated at the bottom. They dont disperse. They just stay there. Like eating jello in water.

If there is a way to go, go with the Minestrone soup. Its good enough for consumption. And it doesn't taste as metallic, jello-y or as crazy-sour-sickening as the Borsch soup.

There. I've just let it off my chest. I have this thing against canned goods and ready to cook food, but if i'm just going to be faced with the same thing for double the price at some fancy looking lunch place, I'd rather have them. No point in wasting money.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home