Friday, January 21, 2005

Dire need to clean up my workspace

I've messed it up. I've REALLY messed it up. ARRGGHH!

I've managed to install several softwares on my workstation in the past year, when I really didnt have any idea what they actually do. "Its just something that I needed to do so I can get on with my work" thing. Lets see. OpenSSH, Cygwin, ActiveTCL. And I dont know what else. I dont even remember.

From what I understand now, these are supposed to be Unix/Linux simulations in my windows workstation environment. I dont have any problems with that since I would rather like to work on a Unix-based platform environment, but since I've probably installed, deinstalled, and then reinstalled them several times over, I've screwed up my environment. The first time I couldn't get any SSL related options to run. And I did a little tinkering and and the last time I could neatly login with ssh. But then I had the pc complaining when i tried to do an scp. how can ssh work and scp not work??

So now i promptly tried to remove everything again. Deinstall, if I may say so myself. Unfortunately for me, I went through the FAQs and they only had the option of manually removing the programs. God knows I've installed these things so many times, I cant keep count of where they're located anymore. I've tried the search option to look for them, but Im sure in the past I've inadvertedly didnt remove some of them. I make the most of what I can.

And now that I've freshly installed a copy, the system still complains of incompatibilities with my user account/login.I have to make this work.. I've been trying to get this to go (on and off at least) for almost more than a year. its complaining about my private key being too available to public. Unfortunately, changing the permissions isnt helping me. I've tried to change the permissions several times already (chmod 400, anyone?) but the permissions still remain as 444.

There must be something I can do... grrrr...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home