Sunday, July 03, 2005

When You Get That Sweet Call...

Hellooo!

I'm now a year and a day older, and ehm...

I dont feel any different :)

The special day wasn't anything special, actually. I was just going through my weekly Saturday motions: Watched a movie (War of the Worlds) in the morning, went to the gym to lift weights, went back home to eat lunch, hung around the house until 3:30, then headed off to the gym again (this time for some intermediate step aerobics... omg I love this particular class)... went out dinner with family (moa, brother, sis in law, grandma, dad and nephew) at PearlyCity branch of Japanese restaurant "Iccho", and then went home and hit the sack.

Nothing special at all. But yet also enjoyable at the same time.

And add in a few birthday calls I received from friends :)

Actually, there's something about people calling up on birthdays... They're actually nice, mind you, it feels special, and you feel remembered. But I can't always help but be embarrassed when people do call. Label me weird, but I get all flustered and I end up not knowing what to say except "thanks very much". I always worry that the person who called at the other end of the line is shelling out money just to call me up on my special day, and I can't help but feel a bit guilty. In a twisted sense, it actually makes me feel worse, compared to when someone's forgotten my birthday. I figured this must have something to do with my confidence level, coz I tend to get embarrassed a lot on the oddest, smallest things. I dont like too draw too much attention to myself, and well... you know how it is with birthdays, you end up as the special person.

It must be because I stuck out as a sore thumb when I was young. Or maybe my parents bombarded me with "Shame" and "Humiliation" when I was still in pre-school, and have had a subliminal effect, subconsciously etching a message into my head about grabbing (or not) people's attentions.

Strange. But a well intentioned phone call is still a well intentioned phone call, and I'm always grateful.

Maybe I should have a birthday resolution of removing that attention guilt for my birthday next year?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home