Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Who Would've Thought!

Ending a career and starting a new one is no easy feat. After 10 years in the IT scene, I've decided I would help this world more by switching into something that I've set aside since my university days - something that is probably as impractical as reinventing the wheel, when everyone else has already sped past the industrial revolution and running on steroids with their fancy IPhones (but what would you know - they still need energy, and a major part of our energy source today is from coal and petroleum. Huh! )

There's no connection between my previous and upcoming career, if you would call it that ... I'm starting from scratch. Even my dad referred me to my niece this morning as "your stupid aunt". Its called Meteorology, Dad. And yes, its not going to earn me and decent bread and butter, unlike my previous corporate, red-tape ridden, politically-charged, high-paying job. I owned the financial world, gawd knows. One tap with my keyboard, and I'll probably let loose gazillions of lost $$$ for one of the major global financial institutions. That's a lot to handle, my friends. Its boring work to let a handful of rich corporations and institutions earn more money, let alone the company I work for. Don't get me wrong, my colleagues were uber nice, but I couldn't stand the whole idea the finance world is built on. My significant other may think otherwise, but we have a healthy, debate engaging relationship anyways. Its FINE.

Speed bump ahead though. A few personal issues has grossly sidetracked my glorious plan to volunteer the entirety of my personal life (including childbearing) to the emerging scientific world. I didn't say my plan was easy, but it irked me to know that even at such an early stage, I would get derailed even before I could say "atmospheric pressure".

And then, here I am, supporting yet another BUSINESS, one that ventures into profit making without any direct consideration for issues that really matter (seriously, what could be more important than scores decimated by roaring tornadoes or killer hurricanes) Never-the-mind. Lets all earn pots-of-golds and hoard them in our high security vaults - As you can see, I don't have very high regard for profit organizations of any kind. :P

And so then, I'm back to handling the IT part of the business. I'm doing a slow job, but I'm sure I'll do a great job. I'm an obssessive compulsive, backup-and-contingency centric, neurotic worker, and what could be better than THAT combination, especially for someone who works with databases. At least I am not supporting a global financial corporation which have no care on which peon they're stepping on. I've got a major shareholder's right to hold this business by the horns and turn it into the direction _I_ want (ok, maybe not the sole major shareholder, but my voice will be heard, that's for sure) if it starts stepping on the little man's toes.

I'm not quite sure if I should be happy with the current situation.. but I hope I finish my work and obligations and get on with what's important - sans politics and the evil money. Lets hope I get to hit the barometer sooner than later, and not when I'm dead. Join my crazy ride to the nobel peace prize road, will you? I'll make sure you have an interesting one!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home